Quality design cannot be measured in a finite way, but Dieter Rams did conclude that it does have rules. While attempting to define these rules he established a brief set of overarching rules that are now colloquially known as the Ten Commandments of Design. Design plays an ever growing role in all of our lives, so if you find the topic interesting - These should be rules to live by.
The Ten Commandments of Design
- One: Good design is innovative.
- Two: Good design makes a product useful.
- Three: Good design is aesthetic.
- Four: Good design makes a product understandable.
- Five: Good design is unobtrusive.
- Six: Good design is honest.
- Seven: Good design is long-lasting.
- Eight: Good design is thorough down to the last detail.
- Nine: Good design is environmentally friendly.
- Ten: Good design is as little design as possible.
Want to Learn More About Dieter Rams?
If you'd like to learn more about the legendary designer Dieter Rams or the Ten Commandments of Design, I'd highly recommend the video below. If you've found this info at all helpful, please share with any of the buttons below.